Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mac and Cheese

Before my oldest was born, Kraft introduced a product called Easy mac, microwaveable macaroni and cheese. They promptly stopped printing the instructions on the box for making their traditional macaroni and cheese in the microwave to boost their new product sales. Now, for those days when your kids are starving and you don't have the time to boil water, or you don't want to dirty a pan, I'm bringing those instructions back. They are surprisingly simple.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 1/2-1 3/4 cups water and the macaroni from your preferred brand of mac and cheese. Do not cover. Place in the microwave for 8 minutes. Stir once about halfway through.


When you take it out of the microwave, it should look like this.
Prepare as per your usual preference, be that full fat, low fat, or guess and dump. Stir, and voila, ready to eat macaroni and cheese. I actually think it's a little better than stovetop. The starch that remains from the water that boiled away makes the sauce a bit creamier.

Curious what else is on my messy, messy counter these days? First, there is a jar of homemade pepper spray. Thus far it has done nothing to deter the squirrels from eating all the birdseed.

Second, the star of the countertop, is our mushroom growing kit. This is about day 5 of our mushroom growing project. It is fascinating, and to Bracken, a bit frightening. But the girls and I are excited.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat all that macaroni by myself. It's just that kind of day.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

This is my first visit to your blog so I thought I'd leave a comment and say hi! I just learned the mac n cheese trick a few months ago and it is definitely life changing. I hope Rosie starts sleeping better for you! She sounds exactly like Kate as a baby; maybe it's a redhead thing :)