Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I know where I've been!

Cabo San Lucas! I know several of you have been waiting to hear about our recent adventures, so I'm finally uploading the pictures and updating my blog. For those who didn't know we were heading to Cabo, Bracken was invited to his company's annual recognition conference this year. We got an all expenses paid 4 day vacation to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Which is a part of Mexico with a Costco and Walmart and a lot of resorts.

We had so much fun. We left on Wednesday, the 5th. We dropped off Chloe the night before at our friends the Mills. She spent two days with them, then spent the next 2 with her grandparents. For pictures on Chloe's adventures with Josh, check out Ashley's blog.

We stayed at the Riu Palace, which was this huge, obviously palacial resort, right on the ocean. It was beautiful, with gorgeous pools and an incredible view. It was an all inclusive resort, which was great for the pocketbook, but the food in general did leave something to be desired. You know how sometimes you get a dessert that's not that great, but you eat it anyway because, hey, chocolate is chocolate? Well, this wasn't even identifiable as chocolate. And the cheesecake tasted like white, and that's about it. But the coconut icecream was amazing, and we certainly didn't starve. It was also fun to try out room service.

On Thursday we went to a timeshare presentation, really only to get free cab rides and whale watching tickets. We spent the rest of the day at the pool, and Addie took her first swim.

She really enjoyed it. In general, I think she had a great time on the trip. As much as she loves her sister, I think Addie really loved having the full attention of her parents for several days. She slept really well, taking a lot of naps on the run. She was in a really good mood most of the time, and hardly cried at all. We sure had fun with her.

Friday was the best day of the trip. We went whale watching in the morning. We were on a large boat with several of our friends, and were able to follow right behind a couple of humpbacks for quite a while. Everyone was eagerly poised with their cameras, trying to capture the elusive tail shot, and time and again, the whales teased us. Finally, just before we turned around, we saw a tail, but no one got a picture. We didn't get a picture either of the sea turtle that swam by.

After our whale watching tour, three of us couples decided to go parasailing. We questioned that decision a bit once we boarded the speedboat with our babies! We all got soaking wet, but the babies were remarkably calm. It was so fun! Neither Bracken or I had ever been before and it was just amazing. I loved how quiet it was, and how beautiful everything was from so high up. Bracken even got to see a couple whales. We would both do it again in a heartbeat.

After parasailing, we did a little shopping. The funniest thing about the shopping for me, besides the fact that they reduced the prices after the cruiseship left, was the selection. My family moved back to the states from Mexico over 25 years ago. Bracken and I could have purchased, piece for piece, identical souveniers to what my parents brought back. That night there was a ocean front recognition dinner for all the employees. Shortly after we finished eating, we went upstairs to the buffet to finish our meal with ice cream, and it was funny to watch all the LDS people, one by one leave the boozing on the beach, and come upstairs for ice cream.

Saturday morning we spent on the beach, and then headed to the airport. The trip home was a little more stressful than the trip there. Addie, the wonder baby of the trip, finally had a bit of a breakdown on the first leg of our trip, but was mostly good (Interestingly, the poop she had on the plane, as well as several others lately, smelled liked bacon. Not good bacon, but bacon nonetheless.). The stop in Phoenix was the worst part. Customs was packed and the airport was confusing, so we ended up running for our gate, and just making it. I just hate that panicky feeling of being late for a flight, but knowing it's not yor fault and there's nothing you could have done about it anyway. I guess eating nothing but airplane pretzels from 12-9 pm was a good way to start the post vacation diet.

And then we got to see Chloe again! We missed her so much. She gave us the best hugs, and was just so happy to be with her Daddy and Momma again, and to sleep in her own bed. I sure do love my little family. However, I am wondering who this Chloe is that I brought home. We've been having some behavior and potty training problems since our return, but I'm hoping they'll end soon.

So now I'm back in my garden and loving it, which is the other reason this post took so long to do. Hopefully I'll get some pictures of that sent out soon also.


Missy Jurgens said...

I cannot believe that you both went parasailing!!! How fun was that? You look great in your swimsuit, its so cute! I'm glad you had a good time, you totally deserved it! Call me when you get a chance, I still want to hear about it! Love ya.

Sandy said...

Looks like you guys had a great trip!! Your new swimsuit is totally cute! I'm really impressed that it appears that none of you got sunburned, either:) Parasailing looks fun...don't think they do that in WY...I'll have to find somewhere more exotic to go:)