Monday, January 19, 2009

Jocelyn's Dress

Most the time lately, I feel like I haven't done anything productive with may day, I haven't accomplished anything, and I certainly haven't done anything for anyone else. Well recently I was reminded that I haven't been a total slacker.


All the high school seniors in the area are required to complete a senior project, requiring at least 20 hours work and an adult mentor, before they can graduate. One of my young women, Jocelyn, is graduating early and asked me to be her mentor on her project. She wanted to design and construct a Civil War era dress. We've been working on it since October, custom fitting a historical pattern and then building the dress. It's finally finished! The pictures don't really do it justice. She did a great job.

We were down to the wire on it and she really wanted to make a matching hat, but we were pretty much out of time to work on it together. She made the cutest hat, all on her own! I was so proud. She gave her final presentation on it last week, and of course passed with flying colors.

It was a lot of time and effort to get this done, but I am so glad Jocelyn asked me to be her mentor. She is an amazing young woman and I had such a good time working with her and getting to know her better. I really will miss her as she heads off to the D.C. area and then to BYU (hopefully).

3 comments:

Sandy said...

WOW - I'm totally impressed!

Xana said...

Beautiful!! Wow, you have such amazing talents, everytime I turn around I see another one. Joceyln is a rare gem and she will be missed.

Lindsay said...

I am amazed at your sewing talent Ruth! it is gorgeous.

And I love Addie's eating pics below. So so much like Emerson! Isn't it annoying how dirty the floor gets--I am seriously having to sweep it after EVERY meal! That's all I do it seems--get the kitchen clean and the kids are asking for food again---ahhh! It goes on and on all day long. I have started to just clean it ONCE A DAY--minutes before Matt gets home, so he thinks I'm on top of it. hehe